Saturday, April 04, 2009

Tartan Day 2009

Today we went to a Tartan Day Festival in Fremont, CA. "Tartan Day is a North American commemoration of Scottish heritage celebrated in Canada and U.S.A." "Tartan Day is held on April 6, the anniversary of the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath was created in 1320." Wikipedia.

The festival was awesome. They had a bunch of clans that were historical societies--they talked with a Scottish accent. One of these historically accurate figures told his wife that she shouldn't speak in the company of men. She responded, "Yes, my husband is my lord." The guy then leaned over to me and whispered, "she says that now, but when this festival is over, I'm going to get it." I thought that was funny.

There were also battles, bagpipes, Celtic dancing, good food, Scottish fiddlers, and more kilts than I have ever seen. It was interesting learning about Scottish history. All I knew about their history was from the movie Braveheart. The kids had a great time. Merrick was terrified of the man dressed like a dragon. He didn't stop talking about the dragon, and was always looking for him. Another great thing was that the festival was held at an old farm, so the kids got to see a lot of barn animals. Does anyone know if the Adams family has any Scottish blood in them? I thinking about starting the MacAdams clan. . . . I think I'm just going to tell people I'm 1/128 Scottish--I'm sure it's true.











5 comments:

Dotgranny said...

Chris, yes you have some Scotch blood. My Mothers side of the family were Scotch and Irish

Kelda said...

sounds fun! Reminds me a little of LARPing, don't know why.

Prior Adams said...

That is awesome that we're Scottish. I guess I wasn't lying when I told people I was.

The festival also reminded me of live action role-playing. There were a lot of Highlanders and Gaels that were fighting each other.

Chelsea F. said...

That's awesome! The guy wearing that mask is crazy looking. I don't blame Merrick for being terrified.

Stephanie said...

Looks fun. Learned something about our history too. I can now tell people I'm a Scottish Indian.

Castle